I am a student illustrator at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. My artwork tackles the emotions of isolation and sometimes power. I enhance this by using energetic figure poses and capturing them in dynamic angles along with concepts and metaphors that correlate to the character’s personality.
The concept of loneliness is powerful. We are all given expectations from society that we must meet. People that don’t succeed these expectations are deemed unordinary and eventually become isolated from their community. Passive-aggressive discrimination is what fuels this expectation. When this happens, we look for other ways to seek attention like going online to social media and video games. This way we can participate in social events without showing our faces to the public. In doing this, we gain some of the satisfaction of belonging to a community, but in actuality this just pushes our isolated boat farther into the abyss.
The cartoon Ed Edd and Eddy has traits of distorting the human figure that I draw inspiration from. That show in particular had a crude style that always intrigued me in an interesting artistic way. The cartoon’s aesthetic enhanced one of my concepts and metaphors class projects when I first really started to explore the idea of isolation and frustration. In this project, sunglasses and tangled were the two words I was given to work with. The shades allow for a person to camouflage in the open while also also hiding their eyes. I shoved in multiple figure faces into the composition to give it a claustrophobic feel. I then added the insanely huge gaping mouth and the excessive screaming to bring chaos to the illustration to show the emotions of what the guy in shades goes through.
- BFA in Illustration, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Minneapolis, MN, (2015-Current), Expected Graduation: Spring 2018
- AFA in Drawing and Painting, Inver Hills Community College, Inver Grove Heights, MN, Graduated 2012-2015
- 2015 AFA Student Exhibition, Inver Hills Community College Gallery, Inver Grove Heights, MN, 2015
- Degenerate Exhibition, Inver Hills Community College Gallery, Inver Grove Heights, MN, 2015
- Work Study: Media Center, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Minneapolis, MN, 2015-Current
- Work Study: Gallery Assistant, Inver Hills Community College Gallery, Inver Grove Heights, MN, 2014-2015
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design Presidential Scholarship 2015-2018
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe After Effects
- Clip Studio Paint
- Digital artwork: (Adobe Photoshop CC, and Clip Studio Paint)
- Charcoal (vine and pencil)
- Water based Oil painting