DESCRIPTION: This call is for one participatory artist-run project, which would use MCBA's studio and gallery/gathering spaces on the first floor and basement of the Open Book building (located in downtown Minneapolis in the Open Book building, 1011 Washington Ave. S). The Open Book building is centrally located near the Stone Arch Bridge, where numerous Northern Spark projects will take place.
Any use of gallery spaces must not disturb the artwork currently on display in those spaces. Preference will be given to projects that (1) make use of MCBA's studio spaces by inviting attendees to participate in activities such as letterpress, screenprinting, hand papermaking, or bookmaking; and/or (2) include an element of performance, such as live music, theater, or other collaborative spectacle.
Artists or collaborative artist teams should be proficient in the studio practices they propose as part of the event. Groups of artists are encouraged to apply together, especially if doing so allows for a broader range of relevant expertise.
RESOURCES: MCBA will provide the following for the selected project:
- $500 stipend
- Staff support
- Assistance with volunteer recruitment
SELECTION CRITERIA: This call will be juried by MCBA staff. Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Strength of conceptual framework for proposed project
- Compatibility with MCBA's mission and goals
- Potential for public engagement and participation
- Applicant's past experience and likelihood for success
APPLICATION MATERIALS: Applicants should submit the following materials to MC Hyland, MCBA Adult and Artist Programs Director, via email (email@example.com):
- Primary contact information (1 page max, PDF format)
- Proposal concept (1 page max, PDF format)
- A budget that fits within the parameters of the grant, and/or clearly identifies and confirms additional sources of funding (1 page max, PDF format)
- Supporting materials, such as site diagrams and technical specifications (2 pages max, PDF format)
- Brief bio for each primary participant (1 page max per participant, PDF format)
- Documentation of past work: up to 5 images (72 dpi, 1000 px in longest dimension, max file size 2MB)
DEADLINE: Application deadline is midnight on Monday, January 30, 2012.