The Visitor Experience Associate (VXA) plays a vital role at the Rochester Art Center. This position orients all visitors to the Art Center and Gallery Shop while providing opportunities for further engagement with the exhibitions and contemporary art. This position includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Provide a professional and welcoming environment for every visitor/customer.
• Open and close the Desk, Galleries, and Gallery Shop as scheduled.
• Oversee the security of the Desk, Galleries and Gallery Shop.
• Handle and process all cash and/or charges of the Desk and Shop.
• Provide daily reports on cash, receipts and/or charges.
• Provide daily report on attendance, facility usage, and/or demographic data.
• Assist with display of merchandise.
• Replenish and stock merchandise and supplies.
• Handle all kinds of promotional events/sales.
• Maintain the cleanliness, tidiness and organization of the Galleries, Desk, and Shop.
• Help with various projects based on departmental needs and VXA availability.
• Perform custodial and facility duties such as sweeping, light mopping, replenishing of paper goods in restrooms, trash removal and occasional snow shoveling.
• Participate in regular in-service training on exhibitions and related material.
• Be knowledgeable about current and upcoming exhibitions and serve as a resource for visitors.
• Actively engage with visitors to further their understanding and appreciation of the exhibitions.
• Acquaint visitors with technology and other resources available for an integrated museum experience.
• Cover registration, security or other posts during special events.
• Strong communication skills - verbal and written.
• Dependable, punctual, friendly, cooperative, flexible, pro-active, and solution-oriented.
• Positive, enthusiastic, and helpful.
• Ability to work well with people of all ages and backgrounds.
• Ability to work under little or no supervision.
• Self-motivated with good organization skills and attention to details.
• Ability to maintain composure and professionalism in stressful situations and can think on his/her feet.
• Ability to multi-task efficiently.
• Proficiency with MS Office applications.
• Experience in customer service and retail sales.
• Knowledge of cash handling and record keeping experience.
• Background in art-related fields.
The VXA reports to the manager on duty, depending on the type of shift you are working. The Visitor Services Manager will oversee all operations at the front desk; the Event Manager will oversee rental events; the Public Programs Director will oversee Art Center events. All VXA scheduling will be coordinated by the Visitor Services Manager.
Business Hour VXAs:
Wednesday, Friday & Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm; Thursdays 10 am to 9 pm; and Sunday, 12 noon to 5 pm.
This position requires a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends, and occasionally early morning shifts. All staff members are required to work during the Art Center’s two major fundraising events and quarterly exhibition openings; specific dates are available from the Visitor Services Manager.
Rochester Art Center Family Membership and 20% discount in Gallery Shop plus a discount on classes, exhibition openings, and special RAC events.
Send a letter of interest, resume and a completed application to:
Rochester Art Center
40 Civic Center Drive SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Position open until filled.
Further questions contact Emily Tweten, firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-424-3316