Deadline to apply: January 15th
Internship Start Date: February 1st
Internship End Date: April 30th
The Soap Factory is seeking qualified and passionate individuals to serve as Installation Interns for our upcoming group exhibition in the spring of 2013, R.U.R. The Installation Interns will provide valuable assistance during the planning and installation of this exhibition. The Soap Factory's spring exhibition features the work of 9 artists drawn from our annual submissions program. This exhibition includes a variety of site-specific installations and sculptural work from both local and national artists.
This Installation Internship is an opportunity to explore the complex nature of installing of a group exhibition in an unique gallery space. The Soap Factory is the Midwest’s premier laboratory for emerging contemporary art with 12,000 sq ft of exhibition space. We pride ourselves on pushing boundaries and encouraging artists to take risks in their practice. Located in a 130 year old wood and brick factory space, The Soap Factory offers artists and interns alike an exciting challenge with each new project.
• 3 weeks leading up to exhibition opening (March 2nd) approx. 30 hours per week
• 6 weeks of the installation's run (March 2nd-April 21st) approx. 2 hours per week
• 1 week following the exhibition’s close (April 21st) approx. 20 hours per week
• Building and fabrication of artwork including plaster casting and basic carpentry
• Assistance with shipping & receiving artwork
• Maintenance support in preparation of the gallery space and materials
• Assistance with gallery lighting and didactic materials
• Assistance and project leadership during installation period
• Building inside of the gallery space requiring use of power tools and some heavy lifting
• Problem solving installation techniques prior to and during installation period
• Removal of installation after the exhibition closes in April
Experience and Requirements:
Some basic construction, assembly or power tool experience is required. Some heavy lifting required (must be comfortable lifting 40 lbs). A keen attention to detail, good communication skills and strong work ethic are paramount. Experience with process-based work is a plus. Must have reliable daily email and phone access.
Skills & equipment used:
Drills, saws, ladders, track lighting, plaster casting and other basic shop equipment.
Please send a cover letter and resume by January 15th, 2013 to Dani Hans, Manager of Volunteer Programs, at Dani@soapfactory.org.