Application Deadline: March 31st
Internship start date: April 15th
Internship end date: December 10th
• Approximately 10 hours per week
• Flexible working hours
The Soap Factory is one of Minnesota’s leading centers for contemporary art. Located in the former National Purity Soap Factory building, the historic 48,000 sq. ft. wood and brick Victorian warehouse is now a progressive art space focused on emerging contemporary practice. In 2012 The Soap Factory served an audience of more than 25,000 people. Communication and marketing to our current audience as well as expanding our audience are the two focal points of this internship.
The Public Relations Internship is an opportunity to explore The Soap Factory through marketing and PR.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain administrative and PR skills in an arts environment, and to become familiar with local and national media of all varieties. The Public Relations Intern will aid in social media research and initiatives, track press coverage, assist with The Soap Factory’s blog, develop new opportunities for promotion and write a press release.
• Research and develop The Soap Factory’s email marketing and communications
• Track all press coverage of The Soap Factory’s programs, this includes both print and online sources
• Archive and file all press coverage of The Soap Factory, compiling a year-end report
• Update and maintain PR mailing list (local, national and international contacts)
• Assist in managing The Soap Factory’s social media and online presence
• Manage mailing lists for the distribution of promotional materials
• Promote The Haunted Basement’s program and ticket sales
• Assist in managing The Soap Factory’s blog contributing ideas and written content
Experience and Requirements:
While a background in the arts is not required, an ideal candidate is passionate about contemporary art and eager to learn about nonprofit management. A well-qualified candidate will be detail oriented, punctual and a strong communicator. Time management skills, attention to detail and accuracy are valuable. Must have reliable daily email and phone access.
Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat, and Google docs. Experience with social media & online marketing is a plus.
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Dani Hans, Manager of Volunteer Programs: Dani@soapfactory.org. Your writing sample should be no longer than one page, and preferably something that was written for either academic or professional purposes (one page of a paper, media release, etc.) Applicants will be contacted about interviews several days after the deadline.