The winner of our 2013 contest will receive a $500 prize and publication in BOMB Magazine’s literary supplement First Proof. All submissions will be read anonymously.
Fiction Contest Submission Guidelines
• Winner receives $500 and publication in BOMB Magazine
• Final Judge: Ben Marcus (author of The Flame Alphabet)
• Deadline: April 30, 2013
• Reading Fee: $20 — includes a free one-year subscription to BOMB (for Canadian addresses add $6, for addresses outside US and Canada, add $12); make all checks and money orders payable to BOMB Magazine.
We are now accepting online submissions. Click here to upload your story and pay the reading fee (includes free one-year subscription to BOMB magazine).
• Manuscripts of one story maximum must be less than 20 pages (around 5,000 words regardless of single or double spacing).
• Include cover letter with name, address, email, phone number and title of story; do not write a name on the actual manuscript, as all entries will be considered anonymously.
• Simultaneous submissions OK, but reading fee is not refundable.
• Story must be previously unpublished.
• Multiple entries OK as long as you pay the reading fee for each story submitted, however only one subscription to BOMB will be given per entrant.
• Email first proof (at) bombsite (dot) com with any questions.
Ben Marcus is the author The Flame Alphabet, a novel, recently published by Knopf. His other books are Notable American Women, The Father Costume, and The Age of Wire and String. Marcus has published stories, essays, and reviews in numerous publications, includingHarper’s, The New Yorker, The Paris Review, The Believer, The New York Times, Salon,McSweeney’s, Time, Conjunctions, Grand Street, and Tin House. He is the editor of The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories, and for several years he was the fiction editor ofFence. Since 2000 he has been on the faculty at Columbia University’s School of the Arts, where he is an associate professor. Read his interview in BOMB with Courtney Eldridge here.
The winning story will be published in an upcoming issue of BOMB’s First Proof (Issue 125).