contact name: Linda Taylor
I am not aware of artist who are doing similar work. I was and continue to beinspired by Ruth Duckworth
(2001-2010): E.g. Society of Minnesota Sculptors (2007-10); Burnsville Visual Arts Society (2009-10); Bloomington Art Center (2009-10); Cross-town Photo Club/Edina Arts Center (2010), Lakeville Center for the Arts (2008, 2010)Women’s Color Camera Club (2010); Stevens Square Center for the Arts (2007); Northeast Minneapolis Artists Association (2007); Handmade Tile Association (2003-10); The Atelier; Minnesota Craft Council (02-05); Wisconsin Designer Crafts Council (03); Hopkins Center for the Arts (02-09); National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (01); Minnetonka Art Center (01-07); Edina Art Center (01-07); Northern Clay Center (01-04);; Fired-UP (01-09).
BIOGRAPHY: In 1999, I left my duties in a traditional job and in 2000 began to work seriously in clay. I participated in shows and galleries, and took many other steps as a fledging entrepreneur. My work has been in the Minnesota State Fairthree timesand has one 2nd place once.
During this period, I continued to work despite a bicycle accident in 2001 which left me with permanent injury. I have recently moved to a new home and am looking forward to a productive new year. I am delighted that both my family and art helped sustain the love I have for life, beauty and the world in which we all live. I am a life-long learner and enjoy sharing what I have learned about clay and the lessons of beauty, resiliency and discovery clay offers.
- Bachelor of Science, Art Education, Cum Laude. State University of New York, New Paltz, NY. 1972. Work concentrated in ceramics, silversmithing/hollowware and several courses in photography.
- Master of Arts - Urban Studies, University of Akron, Akron, OH, 1980. Awarded Teaching Assistantship including free tuition and a stipend in exchange for teaching 4 classes per week.
- Other: William Mitchell College of Law, MN; University of Minnesota, MN; Roosevelt University, IL.
- Prior certifications: Art Teacher (K-12, NY, 1972); Private Pilot (1973); Mediator - Minneapolis Mediation.
1999 - 2010 Starving to Successful - Art Marketing Strategies for Professional Artists (Xanadu Gallery); 2007 -Photographing Your Work (Society of Minnesota Sculptors); 2000-2006 part time -,Atelier, Life Drawing, Sculpture/Human Anatomy (Jim Sloop);Glaze chemistry class/All the world is a kiln (Harriet Compte); Black ware workshop (Maureen Brockway); 2004 - Blackware demonstration (Laura McCaul); Regis Art Center - Yianni Lembesis/Greek pottery demonstration; Art Board and Northern Clay grant workshops; Regis Masters Lecture/Art Institute; Arts Education Conference; Fired-Up, Minneapolis, MN. Helen Gerhardt. Private throwing lessons. Large scale clay (Rebecca Hutchinson, Northern Clay Center); Visual Thinking Strategies (Springboard for the Arts); Raku-a-rama (Minnetonka Center for the Arts); Throwing large workshop (Steve Hemingway, Fired-UP); Ken Matsuzaki (Northern Clay Center); 2001- Glaze workshop with Ian Currie (2 day), Minnetonka Center for the Arts. Pat Bennincasa (Minnetonka Center for the Arts): Susan Frame (Brush painting pottery, Edina Art Center); Photographing and using the light studio (Edina Art Center. Workshop);
Examples from prior years: Intermediate ceramics course University of Minnesota; 2 ceramics courses Southwest Community School; Dragon Art: Stained Glass class; Other Northern Clay Center Workshops - Eddie Dominguez (3-98), Denise Morris (1997est), Frank Giorgini (9-96), Jeff Wheeler Porcelain and Soda Glaze class (1998est); 2 courses with Kevin Caulfield (1990s).
· 2009 - Minnesota State Fair's Fine Arts Competition
· 2002 - Minnesota State Fair's Fine Arts Competition
· 2001 - Minnesota State Fair's Fine Arts Competition, 2nd place (behind Warren McKenzie)
· 2nd place for sculpture in the Dan Patch Day Art Competition, Savage Arts Council, MN.
Other non-art related awards are available upon request.
EXHIBIIONS /PERFORMANCE HISTORY
· 2010. Juried “Spring for Sculpture”,
Society of Minnesota Sculptors/Minnetonka Art Center, MN, Juried “Art in the Home Show”, Bloomington Art Center/ Handmade Tile Association/Xylos Gallery, MN. “Foot in the Door”, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis, MN; “Arte Fete”, Burnsville Performing Art Center/Burnsville Visual Arts Society, MN; “Welcome Spring”, Ring Mountain Creamery and Café, Egan, FUTURE SHOWS: The Phipps, Handmade Tile Association Show.
. Burnsville Visual Arts Society, Juried MiniARTure, Burnsville, MN; Blooming Art Center, Juried Holiday Sale, The Swedish Institute, Minnesota Tile Festival, National Show, Minneapolis. MN; Bloomington Center for the Arts - Society of Minnesota Sculptors Juried Members Show, Bloomington, MN; Edina Art Center, Juried National Show – The Nature of Tile, Edina, MN.; Minnesota State Fair – Juried Fine Arts show, St. Paul, MN; The Crossings Gallery, “No Clay Feet”, Zumbrota, MN; Burnsville Center for the Arts Juried Show, Cultural Perspectives, Burnsville, MN; Gallery 13, Spring Show, Summer Show, Fall Designers Show, Minneapolis, MN.
- Juried “The Source”, Society of Minnesota Sculptors Juried Exhibition at The Phipps Center for the Arts, WI; Member show, Handmade Tile Association, Clay Squared to Infinity Gallery, MN. (*Note: Moved to new home and studio.)
· 2007- Clay Times - “Linda Taylor: Creativity & Resiliency
” p7, 8, 42-45. (July/August 2007); Contract from the Roseville Area Arts Council (16 designs/outdoor tile, installation by others completed); The Atelier - Part-time Student Show (1 sculpture, 2 charcoal, 4 pencil drawings), MN; - Stevens Square Center for the Arts, Members Show (8 pieces), MN. ; Juried - Dan Patch Day Art Competition, 2nd place sculpture, Savage Arts Council, MN; “Postal Impressions”, Hopkins Center for the Arts, MN; Juried - “Wall Art”, placed in top three, Fired-Up, MN; “Show Us Your Ordinary”, Sanctuary of Mercy Seat Lutheran Church, MN; “2007 Spiritual Art Festival and Juried Art Show”, St. Bonface Church, MN; Juried - The Phipps Art Center Gift Shop, WI*; ArtBeat of Hayward*, WI; Rogues Gallery*, St. Cloud, MN; Fired-Up Gallery and Art-a-Whirl, MN; Donations: Fired-Up “Silent Auction”. (*Temporarily withdrew work.)
· 2006- Ceramics Industry Magazine – Pottery Production Practices
( picture of bowl to be included in an article on the use of air releases for the studio potter, 1st qtr 2006); “One Square Foot”, National Juried Show, Clay Squared to Infinity Gallery; Mpls, MN; Juried Member Show, Minnetonka Center for the Arts, MN; Hopkins Center for the Arts, Salon 300, MN; ArtBeat of Hayward, WI; Rogues Gallery, St. Cloud, MN; Art-A-Whirl, through Fired-Up Gallery, MN; Juried - The Phipps Art Center Gift Shop, WI; Art Donations: Artbeat, WI/Auction for Sawyer County Humane Society; Fired Up; MN/ Children’s Surgery “Silent Auction”; Fired-UP/MN Children’s Surgery chili bowls; WeCanDoItTogether.org/Regis Art Center MN/Auction for Bay St. Louis house construction.
· 2005 -
Work included in Making and Installing Handmade Tiles, Angelica Pozo (2005, Lark Books) Juried - Minnesota Craft Council, State Fair Grounds, MN; Tile Festival (Handmade Tile Association and Swedish Institute), MN; Guest Artist, Marketfest, White Bear Lake, Juried – Edina Art Center, MN (3 pieces); Fired-Up Gallery and Art-a-Whirl, MN; Juried - The Phipps Art Center Gift Shop, WI; Ramsey Center for the Arts Gift Shop, MN; ArtBeat of Hayward, WI; Donations: WI/Auction for Sawyer County Humane Society; Fired Up “Silent Auction”; Fired-UP/MN Children’s Surgery chili bowls.
– Art For the Parks –Shorewood Parks Foundation, MN; The Phipps Art Center – Gift of the Hand Christmas Sale, WI; Juried Minnesota Craft Council, Marketplace 2004, MN; Juried The Phipps Art Center Gift Shop, WI; Juried Edina Art Center, MN (2 pieces); Hand Made Tile Association exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair; Juried Wayzata Art Experience, MN; The Juried Religious Art Show, MN; Clay Squared Gallery show, MN; Art Resources, Inc., MN; Sorrayah Studios, MN; Juried -The Phipps Art Center Gift Shop, (featured artist, Jan/Feb), WI; ArtBeat of Hayward, WI; Fired-Up Gallery, MN
· 2003 - Art Resources, Inc., MN; Sorrayah Studios, MN; Art-a-Whirl/Fired-Up, MN; Juried Wisconsin Designer Show, Marian Gallery, WI; Hopkins Center for the Arts (7-03), three-person show, MN; Juried Show, Minnesota Craft Council - Marketplace 2003, MN; Juried gallery sales, The Phipps Art Center, WI (Gift gallery, Gifts of the Hand Christmas sale); Fired-Up, MN; Selected as an alternate for a Watershed Residency, ME;
· 2002 - Juried Show, Minnesota State Fair, Ceramics/fine arts, MN; Juried Christmas show and sale, Minnetonka Center for the Arts, MN; Fired-Up on-going and Christmas show and sale, MN; Juried Show, Fall Minnesota Craft Council -Marketplace 2002, MN; Juried Show, Edina Art Center (2 pieces.), MN; Juried Show, Minnetonka Center for the Arts (2 pieces.), MN; Into the Mystic, MN; ArtBeat of Hayward, (featured artist),WI
- Juried Show, Minnesota State Fair, 2nd Place, Ceramics/fine arts, MN; Juried Show, Edina Art Center (2 pieces.), MN; Juried Show, (2 pieces). Minnetonka Center for the Arts (2 pieces), MN; Into the Mystic, MN; Fired-Up, (gallery and Christmas sale), MN; ArtBeat of Hayward, WI
: See work on: AMACO's Designer Velvets product web page ttp://www.amaco.com/shop/product-460-designer-velvet-dv-underglazes-lead-free.html>and their category pagehttp://www.amaco.com/shop/category-94-underglazes.html. Work is also included on www.ceramicartsdaily/org/community under Linda Taylor; www.clay-earthstudios.com; MNsculptors.com; Work has been displayed: on Channel 11(2004); in Minnesota monthly magazine advertisement; in two separate newsletters/bulletins for the Minnetonka Center for the Arts and included in an advertisement for Hopkins Center for the Arts. Art work donations have been made toseveral organizations in recent years.
: E.g. Roseville Area Arts Council and the Roseville Department of Parks and Recreation (16 original outdoor tile for Roseville Central Park/Muriel J. Sahlin Arboretum, Roseville, MN.). Other examples: 29 Table Vases, Tuan Phan, Mpls, MN. Outdoor clay roof sculpture, D. Paulsrud, Sioux City, IA; Custom planters, C.D. Baarsch, MN, Growing Shoots vases, D. Cox, MN.
COLLECTIONS – To Be Added
My work has been shownin a varietyofgalleries in MN and Wisconsin including:
ART CENTER GALLERIES: Hopkins Center for the Arts, Blooming Center for the Arts, Minnetonka Center for the Arts, The Phipps, Burnsville Center for the Arts, Ramsey Center For The Arts; Edina Art Center; Minneapolis Institute of the Arts - Foot in the Door Show.
OTHER GALLERIES/SHOWS: Gallery 13 ( Mpls, MN); The Minnesota State Fair Fine Arts Gallery (St. Paul, MN); Marian Gallery -Juried Wisconsin designer Show (WI); Art Resources Inc., St. Paul, (MN);Sorrayah Studios (St. Paul, MN); Into the Mystic (MN); Roseville City Hall (MN); Minnesota Crafts Council Fall shows (prior to its demise);Wayzata Art Experience (MN);Juried Religious Art Show (MN) ;Art-A-Whirl thru Fired-UP (MN);Guest artist for White Bear Lake's Marketfest (MN);Shorewood Parks Foundation (Art for the Parks);Swedish Institute - Handmade Tile Festival, (Mpls, MN)
· Clay Times
- “Linda Taylor: Creativity & Resiliency” p7, 8, 42-45. (July/August 2007);
· Ceramics Industry Magazine – Pottery Production Practices
( picture of bowl to be included in an article on the use of air releases for the studio potter, 1st qtr 2006)
· Making and Installing Handmade Tiles
, Angelica Pozo (2005, Lark Books)
· OTHER: Handmade Association Tile Directory (2004-2010): Handmade Tile Newsletter article; Work has been displayed: on Channel 11for the Wayzata Art Experience (2004); in Minnesota monthly magazine advertisement by Minnetonka Center for the Arts; in two separate newsletters/bulletins for the Minnetonka Center for the Arts; advertisement for Hopkins Center for the Arts.
Amaco web site (2010)
Country of Citizenship: