2017 Hutchinson Sculpture Stroll
Call for entries for Hutchinson's Fifth Annual Public Art Exposition. In an effort to expand the availability of public art in Hutchinson, the Hutchinson Public Arts Commission has created a sculpture stroll, with the intent to install 7 original pieces of temporary outdoor art yearly. This year’s exhibit will be shown from May 2017 to May 2018. The pieces will be available for sale or lease if the artist so chooses.
The City of Hutchinson will retain a 25% commission on any sculptures sold.
- All artists selected to exhibit will receive a $1000 honorarium.
- Winner of the People’s Choice will receive a $500 prize.
Hutchinson is a community of about 14,000 located 60 miles west of the Twin Cities in McLeod County. The South Fork of the Crow River flows through the city, and a recently completed fish ladder replaced the original dam to create a stunning focal point entering downtown Hutchinson. The Luce Line State Trail parallels the river and together with a network of beautiful riverside parks, provides recreational opportunities for residents and visitors alike. The City, DNR and other stakeholders recently finished paving the Luce Line Trail through McLeod County providing a forty-five mile trail and additional recreational and tourism opportunities. Hutchinson is a growing art community with many active art organizations and cultural activities.
Open to all artists 18 and older who submit work of high quality, conceptual strength, and originality. All artists may submit up to three (3) separate artworks.
No entry fee.
Sculptors must submit the following items:
- High Quality .jpg Images- 2 Minimum, 4 Maximum
- Image list to accompany image portfolio. Include: Artist name, sculpture title, dimensions, media, date of completion, price, insurance value and installation requirements.
- Please provide detailed information on size and dimensions, including separate measurements for sculpture and any pedestal. Submitted sculptures must have SST strips under the sculpture for mounting.
- All works will be secured to cement pedestals or pads, provided by the City of Hutchinson. Sculptures should be appropriate scale for an outdoor 5 foot circular pad.
- Artist statement and resume.
- Pieces will be selected by the Public Arts Commission Board.
- Sponsors of the artwork may install the work with or without the artist’s assistance.
- The artwork will remain on display from May 2017 through May 2018.
- The City of Hutchinson may remove a damaged sculpture in the absence of prompt and satisfactory repair by the artist in the interest of public safety.
- Sculptures are covered by the city's liability insurance, but not insured against vandalism and/or theft. It is suggested but not required that sculptors have individual insurance coverage.
- The artist is responsible for the delivery and pickup of sculptures at the designated times.
- All work must be of sound design, free standing, and able to withstand Midwestern weather.
- Must be ready to be placed in an outdoor public space designated by the Hutchinson Public Arts Commission.
- Images of accepted art may be used by the City and the Public Arts Commission in advertising and promotional materials.
- Deadline For Entry: January 12, 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: February 16, 2017
- Artist Must Deliver Artwork Between: May 17, 2017-May 19, 2017
- Artist Must Pick Up Artwork Between: April 9, 2018-May 16 2018