Minnesota Museum of American Art
Mission: The Minnesota Museum of American Art inspires people to discover themselves and their communities through American art.
Description: The Minnesota Museum of American Art (the M) is in an exciting, transformational time as we work towards opening a new art museum in late 2018. The M seeks an organized, creative, and energetic individual who is a flexible self-starter to assume a central role in managing the M’s office as Administrative Assistant. Additionally, this position has responsibilities in bookkeeping, human resources, and as an executive assistant. The Administrative Assistant works under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Director of Operations, but is expected to perform many daily tasks independently.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into the criteria we’ve outlined below, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Work Environment & Schedule: Must be able to successfully work both independently and collaboratively in an office setting. Work schedule is Monday through Friday, but does require occasional work on evenings and weekends, based on department needs and event schedules.
• Oversee upkeep of office space including working with building management for repairs and needed services, scheduling vendors, and maintaining office supplies.
• Answer phones and respond to general inquiries.
• Main point of contact with the museum’s vendors and IT companies for service and repair.
• Lead facilitation for office parties and/or holiday gatherings.
• Coordination of upcoming office move and creating/reconfiguring workstations for new employees/interns/volunteers as needed.
Bookkeeping and Human Resources
• Work with new hires to enroll in insurance, set up payroll, and assign keys; and lead first day orientation with new staff.
• Assist with HR policy and procedure manuals.
• Assist with weekly deposits, budgeting process, financial reports, and yearly audit.
• Assist Executive Director and Director of Operations with files and organization, including but not limited to tracking thank you letters, calendars, and appointments.
• Answer inquiries to Executive Director via email, phone, and written correspondence.
• Organize meetings and small events with the Board of Trustees and some trustee committees including creating packets, sending reminders, and ordering lunches.
• Facilitate travel arrangements, as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience in administration.
• Outstanding organization skills; able to successfully manage multiple projects independently and seek direction as needed.
• Exceptional communication skills, excellent judgment, proven relationship skills, discretion, creative thinking, and the desire and ability to work as part of a small and dedicated team.
• Previous work in an executive assistant role desired.
• Interest in advancing skills as an administrative professional.
• Experience working in a nonprofit art or cultural institution a plus.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, resume, and three names of references via email to Jennifer Hensley, Director of Operations, at [email protected].
Salary will be determined based upon experience, in the range of $30,000 to $35,000. This is a full-time position with comprehensive benefits.
Application deadline: Sunday, July 8, 2018; anticipated start date in mid-August 2018.
The M is committed to building a culture focused on inclusivity, diversity, equity, and accessibility and strives to exemplify the richness of difference, and the equitable inclusion of it, throughout the organizational culture and within its practices. Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.