NORTHERN CLAY CENTER
AMERICAN POTTERY FESTIVAL INTERNSHIP Updated April 17, 2019
Position: American Pottery Festival (APF) Intern
Reports to: Director of Galleries and Special Events and Galleries Manager
- August 5 – August 31: 10 – 20 hours/week
- September 2 – 9: 30 – 40 hours the week of APF (mostly all hours between Sept 5 – 8)
- September 9 – 13: 10 – 20 hours September 16 – 20: hours TBD
This is a one-time, short-term, unpaid internship.
RESPONSIBILITIES and TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
- Training on non-profit, artist administration processes and procedures
- Inventory intake, excel uploads, inventory database system, receipt of inventory, filing damage reports with UPS
August 12 – 30 (APF work is due from artists during this time)
- Opportunity to learn how the gallery processes new work coming in for sale inventory intake and storage.
August 26, 9:30 am
- Attend all staff meeting for APF, #1 of 2
September 2 - NCC Closed for Labor Day
September 3, 9:30 am
- Attend sales gallery meeting for APF, #2 of 2.
September 3 – 6
- Opportunity to help finalize exhibition installation, prep for opening
September 5 – 8
- Help staff the event, attend workshops, meet and assist visiting artists
September 9 – 20, 21 (hours TBD)
- Learn how inventory transfers from exhibitions to sales gallery, assist with de-inventory and shipping during the changeover of the exhibition
The American Pottery Festival is both NCC’s annual fundraiser and an invitational exhibition featuring the work of esteemed potters from across the United States.
The process leading up to this event includes inventorying and tracking over 1800 pots. This internship requires someone with great attention to detail and a technical understanding of ceramics that allows them to check for flaws and handle the ceramic work. The intern must be flexible in their schedule and ability to work in different circumstances with various NCC constituents; they must be able to work alone after being given clear direction and have the confidence to ask for clarification when needed. They must also possess sensitivity to the environment and workspace at NCC. The intern will work alongside other employees or in makeshift workspaces.
Please send resume and letter of interest to [email protected] for consideration.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis