Belwin Conservancy is looking for four duets, trios (or other) with strong improvisational skills to perform from tree hunting stands (16’ high, individual seats attached to trees within Belwin’s four-acre, red pine grove). Open to vocalists, instrumentalists, body percussionists and all combinations.
Requirements: Must be “attuned” to nature and willing to improvise with surrounding natural sounds. Must meet with composer and event’s music director Susan Haugh in early summer to discuss music - bring your ideas to the meeting! Must play in sun and rain.
Expression of interest, ensemble ideas and questions due by May 24.
Music in the Trees
DATE: Saturday, August 17-18, 2019
TIME: 11:00am – 3:00pm each day
LOCATION: Red Pine Grove, 4-acre site next to Belwin’s Education Center
1553 Stagecoach Trail S., Afton, MN 55001
FREE WEEKEND EVENT
Saturday and Sunday, 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Tree Stand Ensembles will play two, 50-minute sets each day, on a rotating basis. We prefer the same ensembles play both days, for depth of experience but are open to ensembles that are only available one day.
There will be two sound installations located in other parts of the woods with found materials for audiences to use as percussion and play along.
Sunday 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM there will be a fully accessible performance by musicians and dancers from the Hmong community, in partnership with CHAT (Center for Hmong Arts and Talent). This performance will be located near the Education Center and will be indoors if rain. We will work out the rotation in the tree stands so that no one is performing during this hour.
- Provide an setting for musicians to work surrounded by and with nature.
- Expand audience learning and understanding of music/sound through performances that feature natural sounds.
- Create an event featuring musicians from diverse communities.
- Foster a fun, creative, and curious exploration of ecology for youth and adults.
- Create a sensory-friendly experience where diverse audiences can participate.
- Create an aesthetically beautiful event to match the complex beauty of the grove. Music and visual layout will be featured with the help of visual artist Alyssa Baguss.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere where diverse audiences and performers can feel connected to nature. We will do this through exploring and telling the story of the performers (and staffs) cultural experiences with trees, and the process of restoring human connections to the land and to one another. We are not sure how these stories will be shared among performers, staff, and with audiences but we are confident that together we will create an amazing experience.
Each ensemble will be paid $500 per day.
May 3 - Call for musicians sent out.
May 24 - Interest expressed via email to [email protected] subject line “Music in the Trees”
May 31 - musicians chosen
June - meetings with Susan Haugh and site visits
August - 12-16 open for rehearsals on site in tree stands
August - 17-18 event
Expression of interest – DUE May 24, 2019
Please send information below to [email protected] subject line “Music in the Trees”.
Home Phone if different
Are all musicians committed? (Y/N)
Direct questions and expression of interest to Susan Haugh:
“This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.”