2020 Hutchinson Sculpture Stroll
Call for entries for Hutchinson's Seventh Annual Public Art Exposition. The Hutchinson Public Arts Commission has created a sculpture stroll that provides highly visible display locations for nine original pieces of temporary outdoor art each year. The temporary pieces are complemented by the city’s growing collection of permanent art. The exhibit will be shown from May 2020 to May 2021.
- All artists selected to exhibit will receive a $1,000 honorarium.
- A People’s Choice award will be awarded again this year at the end of the display season. Winner of the People’s Choice will receive a $500 prize.
- The pieces will be available for sale or lease if the artist so chooses.
- The City of Hutchinson has added to its permanent collection from pieces exhibited.
- Note that City of Hutchinson will retain a 25% commission on any sculptures sold.
Hutchinson is a community of 14,500 located 60 miles west of the Twin Cities with a lot of exciting new development taking place. As a regional center Hutchinson boasts a diverse economy that includes agriculture, world class manufacturers, national retailers, vibrant downtown, technical college and a regional health care system. Hutchinson is also known for its natural beauty highlighted by the South Fork of the Crow River, which is bordered by a network of beautiful city parks and the paved Luce Line State Trail.
Hutchinson has a variety of art organizations, cultural activities and festivals that cater to a broad range of interests for residents and visitors alike. As our Chamber of Commerce likes to say “There is Much in Hutch.” Sculptures will be exhibited at destination locations downtown and along the Luce Line State Trail.
We hope you will consider entering your art in the 2020 Hutchinson Sculpture Stroll!
Deadline for Entry: January 31, 2020
Notification of Acceptance: by March 1, 2020
Eligibility: Open to all artists 18 and older who submit work of high quality, conceptual strength, and originality. All artists may submit up to three (3) separate artworks.
Submission: Sculptors must submit the following items by mail or email at [email protected]:
- High Quality .jpg Images ( 2 Minimum, 4 Maximum)
- Image list to accompany image portfolio. Include: Artist name, sculpture title, dimensions, media, date of completion, price, insurance value and installation requirements.
- Please provide detailed information on size and dimensions, including separate measurements for sculpture and any pedestal. Pieces must have SST strips or tabs at the bottom for mounting.
- All works will be secured to cement pedestals or pads, provided by the City of Hutchinson. Sculptures should be appropriate scale for an outdoor 5 foot circular pad.
- Artist statement and resume.
- Pieces will be selected by the Hutchinson Public Arts Commission.
- Sponsors of the artwork may install the work with or without the artist’s assistance.
- The artwork will remain on display from May 2020 through May 2021.
- The City of Hutchinson may remove a damaged sculpture in the absence of prompt and satisfactory repair by the artist in the interest of public safety.
- Sculptures are covered by the city's liability insurance, but not insured against vandalism and/or theft. It is suggested but not required that sculptors have individual insurance coverage.
- The artist is responsible for the delivery and pickup of sculptures during arranged time with City of Hutchinson Parks Department.
- Works will be secured to a five foot circular concrete pad or pedestal provided by the City of Hutchinson. Submitted pieces must have SST strips or tabs at the bottom for mounting.
- All work must be of sound design, free standing, and able to withstand Minnesota weather.
- Must be ready to be placed in an outdoor public space designated by the Hutchinson Public Arts Commission.
- Images of accepted art may be used by the City and the Public Arts Commission in advertising and promotional materials.