Deadline: July 15, 2019
Entry fee: $10
Opportunities for artists to display their work in a gallery (commercial or otherwise) are competitive. Sometimes non-profit, artist-run, and commercial galleries will provide specific criteria on their websites for artists who might like to apply for an exhibition in the space, but increasingly, many galleries simply note that they do not accept “unsolicited submissions.”
Many artists ignore this request.
Ejecta Projects has been open for over a year and has mounted several group and solo exhibitions of work by national and international artists. Despite the fact that “no unsolicited submissions” is not stated on the website, we have received very few unsolicited submissions. None, actually.
So, all unsolicited submissions that arrive at Ejecta Projects by July 15, 2019 and which adhere to our unsolicited submission guidelines (see below) will be collected, reviewed, and duly considered by the directors of Ejecta Projects to curate a thematic exhibition titled....um, Unsolicited Submissions. While it is unlikely we will be able to include work from every artist, ALL submission materials that follow our guidelines will be color printed, folder bound, and prominently displayed in the exhibition as a library of work that was considered for the show. This library will be perusable by gallery visitors and regional curators during our normal operating hours.
1) Ejecta Projects is a labor of love. We typically see few sales and anticipate no financial gain. However, all work curated into the exhibition must be for sale. To keep art at Ejecta Projects affordable for our community, we only take a low 35% commission on work sold.
2) Ejecta Projects cannot provide shipping or return shipping for artworks selected for inclusion in the exhibition. Delivery and return of all work to the gallery is the responsibility of the artist. If artwork is shipped to the gallery, a pre-paid return shipping label must be included. Works delivered in person must align with drop off hours (listed below).
3) Ejecta Projects is not responsible for any damage, breakage, replacement or cost associated with any damage or breakage that may have occurred during transport or unpacking the work. Every precaution will be taken in handling the work, but Ejecta Projects assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Artists, if they wish, need to provide their own insurance.
4) Maximum size for work submitted: 72” X 60” X 30”-ish.
5) This opportunity is open to artists working in 2D, 3D, or time-based media.
6) Work selected for inclusion in Unsolicited Submissions cannot be withdrawn before the end of the exhibition. Work sold during the exhibition will be either collected in person by the purchaser or shipped directly from the gallery to the purchaser (at additional cost to the purchaser) after the exhibition closes. Artwork included in the exhibition that was sipped to Ejecta Projects with a pre-paid return shipping label will be re-shipped to the artist within a week of the close of the exhibition.
7) All wall-based artwork must be suitably framed to a professional standard. All framed should be fitted with Plexiglas or glass (if small and hand delivered). Wall mounted sculpture, stretched canvas, panels, or work conceptually dependent on not being framed do not require a frame. No clip frames or taped edges are permitted. Work must be wired or otherwise be ready for hanging. All work must be labeled on the back by the artist indicating which end is the top and the following details: Artist Name, Title, Medium, and Price. Selected video works must arrive at the gallery “show ready” based on conversations with the staff at Ejecta Projects. If multiple video works are included in the exhibition, these may be ganged and displayed on a single monitor or shown on a single projector in turn and on a loop.
8) No artwork may be substituted.
9) There is a non-refundable $10 entry fee payable using the Paypal link below.
10) With the submission of artwork to Unsolicited Submissions, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus.
Please direct all questions to [email protected]
Unsolicited Submissions Submission Guidelines:
1) All artists over the age of 18 are welcome to apply. One submission of 10 images per artist at the non-refundable cost of $10. Payments must be made through our website: www.ejectaprojects.com
2) All submissions must be formatted as follows and emailed as an attachment directly to [email protected] by July 15, 2019.
IMPORTANT: All submissions must be emailed to Ejecta Projects as a 12-page PDF. PDF submissions MUST follow the following format:
Page 1: A combination bio/artist statement not to exceed 1 page.
Page 2: One-page CV (one page max). Include your contact info.
Pages 3 -12: TEN individual images representing your art. One image per page. Each page should also include relevant image information: Title, date, materials and no more than a sentence or three if there are other relevant details important for us to know. Video, time-based, or performance works should be represented with a single still image. Please include a link to individual video materials in the body of the email when you send in the submission. Do not attach any additional files to the email.
Ejecta Projects reserves the right to reformat submission materials as needed for the sake of organizational convenience. As this library of application materials will be available for browsing by the general public, submission materials that contain “mature content” will be labeled as such. Submission materials that include materials that exceed a reasonable level of “mature content” for a general public will be in considered in violation of the submission guidelines.
Materials that do not closely conform to the guidelines above will not be considered. with the reminder that the submission fee is non-refundable.
ALL requested submission materials will otherwise be available to the public.
3) All works submitted must be available for inclusion for display in the gallery for the entire length of the exhibition.
4) The body of your email should include a brief note of introduction and a link to your website (and links to time-based submissions if appropriate). No other links, images, attachments, statements, biographical information, or other supporting materials should be included in the email.
About the Gallery:
Founded by artist Anthony Cervino and art historian Shannon Egan, Ejecta Projects is an art gallery, an artist’s studio, and a quiet space to consider collaborative artistic and curatorial undertakings. Located in downtown Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Ejecta Projects not only offers exhibition and consignment opportunities for artists, but also serves as a gesture toward community investment, a place for connection among people who crave an atmosphere of warmth and creativity. The space is conceived as the progeny of a 2015 co-written book and co-curated exhibition titled "Ejecta." Ejecta Projects, like its earlier iteration, examines themes of failure and success, parenthood and marriage, materiality and mortality. Exhibitions and endeavors not only reflect these personal and professional preoccupations, but also respond to encounters with a broad repertoire of artists and engaged audiences.
Final Submission Deadline: July 15, 2019 11:59 PM MT
Artist Notification: July 22, 2019
Dates for delivering artwork to Ejecta Projects in person: August 8, 9, and 10, 2019
Deadline for Ejecta Projects to receive shipped artworks: August 10, 2019
Gallery Exhibition: August 17 – September 21, 2019
Opening Reception: August 17, 2019, 5 - 7 pm
Artwork can be picked up in person from the gallery: September 22 - 23, 2019