HeART of Eagan
An Art on Loan Program with the City of Eagan Call for Artists
September 1, 2020 – September 2021
Conditional option for second year through September 2022
February 24, 2020
City of Eagan announces a new public art program, HeART of Eagan, to create a sense of place and en- gagement on the Art Block, in the heart of Eagan, and centered at the City Hall Campus property. In 2020, four new artworks will be placed in and around the municipal campus. All artworks will be installed on either concrete or stone pedestals at any of the following identified locations:
- Eagan City Hall interior
- Eagan City Hall grounds, exterior
- Civic Center Pocket Park, exterior Police Department grounds, exterior Civic Arena, exterior
- Cascade Bay Water Park, exterior Wescott Library, exterior
- Civic Center Drive right of way, exterior
- Submissions Due: 5:00 p.m., February 24, 2020
- Selection Committee Meeting: March 4, 2020
- City Council Approval: March 17, 2020
- Selected Artists Notified: By March 20, 2020
- Installation: On or before September 1, 2020
- Art Block Event: September 12–26, 2020
*Dates subject to change
This program is an exciting addition to Eagan’s vibrant public art presence that includes, art benches in 12 public parks, major installations and community art projects. To date, Eagan has an inventory of 23 artworks throughout the community. HeART of Eagan is located on the Art Block, a one square mile area in the mid- dle of Eagan that includes the municipal campus, arts organizations, schools, the library, faith communities, residential and retail. A two-week collaborative art event takes place in this geographic area in September.
Each selected artist will receive a stipend of $1,000 for display of their artwork for one year (September 2020 – September 2021), with a possible one-year extension for an additional $500 stipend.
Artwork may be available for sale while on display, but cannot be removed until completing the public art obligation with the City of Eagan.
Artwork will be selected by a subcommittee of the Advisory Parks & Recreation Commission, staff and com- munity members.
In addition, the following honorariums will be awarded:
- $500, Artistic Excellence
- $500, Best Community Engagement
- Artists must be within driving distance of the City of Eagan.
- Exterior artwork must be adaptable to outside conditions, including extreme cold, snow, rain and direct sunlight.
- Artwork must be safe for public engagement, especially children.
- Maximum weight must not exceed 1,000 pounds.
- Fragile, vulnerable or inappropriate work will not be considered.
- Artists may submit multiple artworks for consideration. Maximum of three.
- Artists must submit photos of each artwork entered, showing the artwork from different vantage points. Insurance coverage is the responsibility of the artist/owner. The City provides limited coverage as follows: in the event of a loss while the artwork is in the City’s care and custody, the City shall pay up to $2,500 per claim toward damage in excess of $2,500.
- Submissions are due by 5:00 p.m., Monday, February 24, 2020
- Open Theme Call
REQUIRED SUPPORT MATERIALS FOR EACH ARTWORK SUBMITTED
- High quality photos of artwork that clearly represent your artwork from various vantage points. Photos of scale models are acceptable. Jpg images, 300 dpi are preferred.
- Artwork description
- At least two samples of previous sculptures (jpg) Artist statement and resume
For more submission form and additional info: Contact Julie Andersen at [email protected] or (651) 675-5521.