Becca Cerra is currently collecting submissions for her next conceptual art project: Hallucinations (Physical Forms, Mental Distortions). This new work will combine sculpture and dance to create a visual representation of living with mental illness. The final work will be presented as a performance event that will give the viewer an inside look into the often chaotic, yet, beautiful complexity of a mind with mental illness. Hallucinations (Physical Forms, Mental Distortions) will challenge viewers’ negative stereotypes and misconceptions, bringing awareness to the realities of living with mental illness.
About Hallucinations (Physical Forms, Mental Distortions):
Based on research, interviews, and her own experiences, Becca will create mixed-media sculptures and choreography that capture the essence of the following five (5) mental illnesses: Bipolar Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Other Specified or Unspecified Feeding or Eating Disorder (previously Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified). She is also meeting with psychologists and psychiatrists and studying psychiatric texts to gather a better understanding of the diverse experiences of each mental illness.
After compiling significant research, Becca will fabricate wearable sculptures and work with dancers to create choreography that, when paired with the corresponding sculpture, embodies that specific mental illness.
Each of Becca Cerra's works is deeply personal and borne from a chapter from her own story. Having been diagnosed with each of these mental illnesses herself, Becca has a unique understanding and will represent each with great sensitivity and awareness. Your perspective is what will make this project possible. Becca Cerra will use your submission for inspiration for the sculptural forms and the choreography used in the final performance. For examples of her previous sculpture/dance performances, please visit the "Conceptual Art" tab at beccacerra.com
Submissions will be accepted until September 30, 12 AM CST Please click here to fill out the following electronic survey/consent form and do one (or more) of the following:
Write a story, poem, share a page from your journal. Submit a photo, drawing, painting, or other visual representation. Send a video of you dancing, moving, etc. Find a form of expression in which you can convey your experience with one or more of the 5 identified mental illnesses and submit it to Becca Cerra. In your submission, please identify which mental illness(es) you are referencing.
Send electronic submissions to e-mail [email protected] send mail to ATTN: Becca Cerra, 3749 Chicago Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, 55407
To guide your submission, please consider the following questions:
1. What does living with a mental illness(es) mean to you?
2. How does it affect your day-to-day life?
3. If your mental illness were a color/texture/sound/shape/taste/etc. what would it be?
4. How might you describe your mental illness to someone who has never heard of it?
5. What do you wish people knew about your mental illness(es)? 6. What parts of your life are affected by your mental illness(es)? 7. How might your life change if you didn't have a mental illness(es)?
8. How does having a mental illness(es) change the way you see the world?
9. What are your symptoms?
10. How do you manage your symptoms?
Please note the following:
- By submitting your story, you explicitly authorize Becca Cerra to incorporate your story into her work, however, submitting your story does not guarantee it will be used.
- Only share information regarding yourself and your experience.
- You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of submission.
- All project participants will be recognized in the performance's programs unless noted to remain anonymous in consent form. They will each receive a video or photograph from the final performance. No monetary compensation will be offered.
- Do not disclose any information that directly suggests a future plan to harm yourself or someone else. Becca cannot guarantee anonymity in the event that you do disclose such a plan.
- Becca Cerra will only review submissions for which she receives the survey/consent form for. If you require assistance filling out the electronic form, please contact bec[email protected]
At a later date, she will announce a call for performers. If you, or someone you know, is interested in performing in this work (or future works), please e-mail [email protected] to be placed on her contact list.
Submissions will be accepted until September 30, 12 AM CST
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to your submission.