Art and science are, in many cases, inspired by similar motivations: a desire to explore the unexplored and to uncover the hidden patterns and relationships of everyday life. Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve, with its diversity of plant and animal communities and its wealth of long-term ecological research, provides a unique opportunity for artists to investigate the intersection of science, nature and humanity. We invite artists working in any genre (including but not limited to photography, painting, music, dance, creative writing…) to bring their unique ideas and perspectives to Cedar Creek to help us build a long-term, diverse body of work exploring this place and its science.
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE.
APPLICATION WINDOW CLOSES FEBRUARY 6TH, 2019.
Artists in Residence are provided with:
- Access to a world-renowned research site and the diverse habitats and experiments it contains for up to one year
- Opportunities to interact with researchers and students working onsite
- Space to promote your project on the Cedar Creek website and facebook page, as well as in the main visitors building
- Access to a private one-bedroom house on the property for an overnight or extended stay, if desired
We ask that each Artist in Residence:
- Interact with site scientists and staff
- Incorporate both art and science in their final work
- Provide the Education and Outreach Coordinator with updates at least every 3 months
- Share their work with the public through an event, installation, reading, show or other appropriate outlet at some point during or at the culmination of the residency (organized by the artist, hosted and promoted by Cedar Creek)
- Consider leaving some aspect of their work for Cedar Creek's permanent collection when the residency is completed
As with all researchers and visitors onsite, we require that Artists in Residence respect all site rules and regulations, including staying on internal roads, carrying a use permit, and checking in before each visit. A residency does not give you unlimited access to the reserve. Depending on the nature of the project, residencies may last from one week to one year. Artists in Residence will need to provide their own transportation, food, art supplies and other materials. Unfortunately, additional funding and stipends are not available at this time.
Please fill out this form, including uploading a project proposal and your resume. If you have difficulty submitting your application, please contact Cedar Creek’s Education and Outreach Coordinator, Caitlin Barale Potter, at [email protected] . Applications will be reviewed by a committee, with priority given to individuals who have not previously held arts residencies at Cedar Creek.