Supporting interactive, short or feature-length doc projects made by filmmakers from, and telling the stories of, underrepresented and marginalized communities from around the world. The Fund was established in 2013 by the R&M Lang Foundation, which provides short/interactive project support. Feature-length project support is underwritten by the Panicaro Foundation.
Applications are open with a deadline of August 21, 2019.
The CrossCurrents Doc Fund is reviewed annually, and these guidelines are subject to change.
The CrossCurrents Fund is an international fund for filmmakers who are directly in—or have a deep connection to—the underrepresnted and marginalized community.
The Fund’s mandate is to help develop understanding and appreciation of unheard voices by encouraging projects that aim to reach not only members within the community, but also expanded audiences.
Project funding support will include $10,000 CAD for one short or interactive film; and up to $30,000 CAD for up to three feature films.
Feature films for the purpose of this fund may include TV length versions with running times of 41 minutes or longer.
- The successful applicant(s) will receive a production grant of up to $30,000 CAD to a maximum of 50% of the feature film production budget.
SHORT FILMS & INTERACTIVE PROJECTS
Short films for the purposes of this fund are defined as films with a running-length time of 40 minutes or less.
- The successful applicant will receive a grant of $10,000 CAD, which could reflect up to 100% of the project’s development or production budget.
HOT DOCS FELLOWSHIP
- In addition to the production grant, the successful recipients will be considered for a Hot Docs Fellowship that includes travel, accommodation and accreditation to the annual Hot Docs Festival and enrollment in the Emerging Filmmakers Lab and mentorship initiatives.
Applicants must be:
- The (co)director, and primary rights holder attached to the film project
- An emerging filmmaker with three or fewer professional directing credits.
- In good standing with Hot Docs at time of application submission
Feature-length projects must be:
- Low- to mid-budget films ($300,000 to $600,000 CAD amount max)
- Feature length works (41-90 minutes)
- In production
Short or interactive projects must be:
- Low-budget films (i.e. under $100,000 CAD)
- Short to mid-length works (i.e. 5 to 40 minutes)
- In a late stage of development, or in early/mid production
- Primarily for release online or as a web doc/interactive project
All projects must not:
- Be proposals that are school, institute or university course work, or are shorts, TV series, web series or fiction pieces.
- Be at a rough-cut stage or will be completed by Hot Docs 2020 (April 2020)
Eligibility for re-application:
Submitted projects that do not receive funding may submit a maximum of one additional time only in another stream within the fund. Requests for resubmission must be received in writing to [email protected]. In some instances, the selection committee may invite a project to resubmit and they be notified directly.