Since 1996, Interact’s mission to create art that challenges perceptions of disability has redefined who is included in creating the artistic vocabulary. Our entourage of 100+ actors and visual artists with disabilities creates all original work, sustains rigorous professional standards, and explores ideas through the lens of the entire spectrum of disability labels. Our uncompromising vision of radical inclusion dissolves concepts of who “can” or “cannot,” blending the talents and viewpoints of artists with and without disabilities, and artists from mainstream and marginalized communities.
Position: Gallery Archivist and Collections Manager
Reports To: Gallery Director
Status: Contracted, grant-funded position, subject to the terms of the grant – 24 hours/week, $25/Hour.
Interact Center for the Visual and Performing Arts seeks an Archivist and Collections Manager whose strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills will serve the Visual Arts Department and Gallery Director in the operations and advancement of the art gallery and ecommerce initiatives. This position is responsible for inventorying, organizing, documenting and maintaining the physical and digital collections of artist work spanning the 20 years of the Interact Visual Arts Department. The Archivist and Collections Manager will also work with the Gallery Director, Visual Arts Department, Advancement Department, and Accounting Department by preparing and mounting exhibitions; organizing openings and events and managing sales transactions and requests. The role requires quick and patient responsiveness to Interact’s daily conditions.
GALLERY ARCHIVIST AND COLLECTIONS MANAGER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Organizing, documenting, and maintaining physical artwork (2D/3D/mixed media) and corresponding digital inventories.
- Along with the Gallery Director, implementing improved artwork inventory system and procedures.
- Creating and uploading digital scans and photographs of artwork.
- Managing digital assets and digital asset management system.
- Ensuring that staff in other departments have access to the system and aiding with its use as necessary.
- Coordinating use of artwork storage area by organizing unprocessed collections.
- Planning and implementing artwork storage rehousing as needed.
- Performing basic artwork conservation.
- Preparing gallery for exhibition, including framing, matting, installing artworks.
- Performing a wide range of administrative tasks including processing sales, fulfilling image requests from both staff and external customers, ordering supplies, and updating technical supplies budget.
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- A passion for Interact’s mission of radical inclusivity and changing perceptions of disability through art.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in a gallery or similar environment.
- Masters in Arts Administration or MFA.
- Knowledge of collection and art inventory system management best practices.
- Strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and work ethic.
- Gallery preparation experience, including framing, matting, and photography skills.
- Working knowledge of social media marketing and ecommerce.
- Ability to manage workflow independently and proactively in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends, as part of a small, dedicated team.
ALL CANDIDATES MUST:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, or relevant field.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds, climb a ladder, stoop and reach in a variety of physical locations.
- Pass a required background check prior to hiring.
- Participate in all required social services and state licensing training including but not limited to:
- CPR/AED and first aid training, bloodborne pathogens training, and medication certification (when applicable).
- Follow all policies and procedures to ensure client artists are in a safe and supportive environment at all times.
Please e-mail a cover letter, three references, and a resume to [email protected] with Gallery Archivist and Collections Manager in the subject line.