GRAPHIC DESIGN AND ARTS ADMIN APPRENTICE
Open until filled
Reports to: Communications and marketing director
Position summary: Gain hands-on experience in arts administration and nonprofit storytelling while making a real difference in the lives of artists. During your apprenticeship, you’ll be an important part of telling the story of the Playwrights’ Center, a 46-year-old arts service organization that champions playwrights and new play development. Your job will be about 70% communications (with an emphasis on graphic design), and 30% admin. On the communications side, you’ll design a variety of print and digital materials to promote the Playwrights’ Center and support our programming, as well as assisting with website updates, social media, brand development, advertising, videos, editorial content creation, and other marketing and communications initiatives. Your administrative realm will include list and database management, responding to email and phone inquiries from members and the public, reporting, and event registration management. There is a lot of room for customizing the apprenticeship, and projects can be chosen based on your individual interests and skills.
Hours: An average of 15 hours per week. Schedule can be flexible within our regular office hours (Monday-Friday 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.).
Dates: September 2018 - May 2019 (nine months, start and end dates somewhat flexible)
Application deadline: Review of applications begins August 9, 2018.
Salary: $10.25/hour. Working 15 hours a week for 34 weeks (9 months with 2-week winter break), the total salary is $5,227.50. Apprentices also receive free membership to the Playwrights’ Center for a year and the opportunity to participate in Playwrights’ Center seminars and classes. We are happy to work with your college/university for you to gain college credit through your institution.
- Design and layout of print pieces such as event programs, playbills, flyers, postcards, brochures, advertisements, and event signage
- Design of digital projects such as HTML emails and MailChimp templates, website graphics, and images for social media
- Overseeing ad sales and payments for event programs
- Responding to the general Playwrights’ Center email account and phone line. You’ll answer the main phone line during your office hours.
- Managing lists and running reports in our database
- Processing membership payments
- Transcribing interviews
- Updating public online calendars with Playwrights’ Center events
- Assisting with box office management and ticket registration for Center events
- Assisting staff with photocopying, scanning, filing, mailing, and document preparation
Secondary responsibilities could include the following, and will be chosen based on the interests and skills of the apprentice:
- Photographing Playwrights’ Center events
- Content marketing and curation
- Writing articles
- Updating website
- Proofreading and editing content
- Managing design material archive
- Evaluating and measuring success of marketing efforts
- Researching opportunities to promote events and fellowship opportunities
- Event planning assistance
Skills and experience
- Graphic design experience is important.
- Comfortable with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Google suite
- Proficient with Mac-based working environment
- Web design and/or marketing experience a plus
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple activities
- Strong writing and editing chops are always appreciated.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé and a few design samples or link to online portfolio to [email protected].
The Playwrights’ Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment filled with mutual respect for all employees. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
General accessibility information for the Playwrights’ Center can be found at pwcenter.org/accessibility and we are happy to answer other accessibility questions sent to [email protected].