Since 1996, Interact’s mission to create art that challenges perceptions of disability has redefined who is included in creating the artistic vocabulary. Our entourage of 100+ actors and visual artists with disabilities creates all original work, sustains rigorous professional standards, and explores ideas through the lens of the entire spectrum of disability labels. Our uncompromising vision of radical inclusion dissolves concepts of who “can” or “cannot,” blending the talents and viewpoints of artists with and without disabilities, and artists from mainstream and marginalized communities.
Interact Position Description
Position: Visual Arts Ceramics Instructor
Reports To: Visual Arts Department Manager
Status: Part Time; 8:30-4:30pm M-F (32 hours a week-schedule to be set with Manager, when hired). Occasional evening/weekend hours. Exempt benefits eligible Possibility to full time if program grows.
Involvement with clients: Direct service responsibilities
This position serves primarily as an art instructor for artists enrolled in the Interact Visual Arts program who work in the ceramics studio. This position also serves as a personal advocate for a sub-set of 10-15 artists within the program. Candidates should have some experience in client care for a vulnerable population. This position is expected to have some administrative acumen in order to plan and communicate efficiently.
- Proactively plan, organize and facilitate daily artistic programming with department team of other artists, including developing and teaching workshops and maintaining a communal studio section.
- Participate in planning and implementing studio activities, including art exhibitions, staffing art gallery during shows; community art events or field trips.
- Serve as artistic advocate for an assigned group of client artists with a range of disabilities, including but not limited to cognitive, physical and developmental disabilities. Assist client artists with their daily artistic needs, set annual goals and maintain monthly logs for each client to ensure each artist makes progress in their artistic career.
- Participate in all required social services and state licensing training; follow all policies and procedures to ensure clients are in a safe and supportive environment at all times.
- Candidates must be willing to assist clients with personal needs, including toileting, if required.
- Work retail gallery shifts for special events outside of regular work hours with comp time provided (St Paul Art Crawl, Interact shows, Holiday Art Sale, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in developing, teaching and evaluating workshops/classes in the arts and arts instruction required.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a part of a team environment; strong interpersonal skills required.
- Experience in the social services or disability community highly preferred; knowledge of ASL a plus.
- All candidates must pass a background check prior to hiring.
- People of color, men and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Background in ceramics is required.
- Three professional references
- 3 – 5 images of your work
- No phone calls or walk-ins.
BENEFIT SUMMARY: Interact provides 80% of the employee’s medical and dental premium for full time employees. After 12 months of service, Interact provides a match up to 3% of the employee’s salary into a 403(b) plan. We offer 15 days of paid vacation time, per year, for all regular full-time employees, increasing accrual with tenure. We also recognize 10 paid holidays each calendar year. Regular full-time employees earn one sick day per month. Part time employees benefits are prorated to reflect their hours compared to a full-time employee.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Demonstrate communication skills (oral and written) with artists, families, health professionals, community agencies, and units of government. Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds.
Submit application materials to [email protected]
Interact Center for the Visual and Performing Arts
1860 Minnehaha Ave W
Saint Paul, MN 55104