Deadline: Monday, 10/28, 11:59pm
Imagine yourself here. Be a part of something great at Science Museum of Minnesota.
The Science Museum of Minnesota knows that the diversity in our communities generates better ideas, inspires creativity and is essential to building a positive workplace. As an employer of choice, we hire and retain the best employees by valuing differences, creating a collaborative work environment, and providing promotional and career development opportunities. Read our Statement on Equity and Inclusion.
Join our Museum Experiences team as an Experience Designer I and help us create exemplary museum experiences and actively collaborate with project teams, managers, external project partners, and advisors in this work. Experience Designers I use the appropriate tools (both digital and physical) to create these compelling exhibit experiences.
Work Environment: Collaborative open office setting.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in project team meetings to lead discussions on exhibits, offering creative ideas and design suggestions for exhibit experiences.
- Create digital and physical assets of museum experiences for use as a tool to present, evaluate, and modify those assets based on the project team, and client feedback. These assets include, but are not limited to, digital and physical 3D models, floor plans, elevations, concept sketches, technical draftings, lighting plans, and various presentation materials.
- Collaborate with the design team and production staff to ensure that prototype and finished designs are being rendered to specifications and meet overall project goals.
- Manage digital assets across multiple projects using file structures, version control systems, databases, and cloud-based storage systems.
- Advocate for universal accessibility in the design of exhibit experiences.
- Confer with conservators and experience design team to determine how to handle an installations environmental aspects, such as lighting, temperature, and humidity, so that objects will be protected and exhibits will be enhanced. Advise other team members as needed.
- Understand and prioritize work to ensure that the workflow is efficient and in line with the project's goals and within the scope of the project team.
- Adapt and apply new techniques and trends to create innovative museum experiences. Seek out new and emerging techniques to help assess the viability of their use in exhibit experiences.
- Hold and promote the value that the visitor is the ultimate client for the work of the project team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- No formal education necessary.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in 3D design software such as AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Sketchup, and/or Revit.
- Demonstrable knowledge of industry-standard technologies and techniques.
- Proven experience in Exhibit Design or similar design field (theater, interior, architecture, industrial or related fields desired).
- Curiosity towards the scientific endeavor desired.
- Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
- Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds.
- Fluency in language(s) other than English valued (Hmong, Somali, Spanish).
Hiring Pay Range: $46,000 – 51,000+ annually / Depending on Qualifications.
The job duties describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list. For some positions, detailed procedures may be outlined in supplemental documents.
We exist to turn on the science and inspire learning, inform policy and improve lives. We envision a world in which all people have the power to use science to make lives better. We value science as an essential literacy and strive for inclusion inside and out so that our museum and our people reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community. It is the museum’s policy and practice to hire and promote qualified job seekers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We offer benefit packages for full-time and part-time employees.