Job Title: Program Assistant
Classification: Full time, Non-Exempt
Schedule: Weekdays during business hours, with occasional weekends/evenings
Reports to: Director for Artistic
Advancement Supervises: N/A
Date: October 28, 2019
We will begin interviews after November 15, and the position will remain open until we find the right fit.
Position Scope and Purpose
Now in its 25th year, Textile Center seeks a Program Assistant to support its growing education and exhibition programs in the fiber arts with this administrative and customer service role. The Program Assistant primarily assists Textile Center’s adult and youth education programs, as well as its exhibition program, and the library (up to 10 hours per week.) The position reports to the Director for Artistic Advancement. This position requires the ability to balance and execute a number of projects and tasks at any given time, working as part of the education and exhibitions program team.
- Assist with all in-house aspects of registration processes for Adult, Youth, Guest Teaching Artist, Group Making Experiences, Library and Offsite programs.
- Communicate with prospective students to assist with questions and course registrations, in person, by phone, and on-line.
- Assist Adult Education Associate with preparation of all on and off-site classroom materials including supplies, lists, handouts, evaluations, and email reminders for both students and instructors.
- Prepare and breakdown classroom spaces for all classes.
- Prepare instructor handouts for all classes.
- Maintain all education-related databases for recruitment, retention, marketing, and outreach
- Assist with program marketing and outreach efforts, including mailings and digital dissemination of materials.
- Assist Youth Education Associate with Youth Fiber Art Guild, including but not limited to, scheduling and assisting with kit preps, kit packing, and kit mailings.
- Assist Youth Education Associate with administering onsite programs for youth, including field trips and birthday parties.
- Assist with maintaining Dye Lab facilities and supplies.
- Assist A Garden to Dye For contract consultant with dye garden maintenance and recruiting garden volunteers.
- Assist with arranging hospitality and travel for Guest Teaching artists and lecturers.
- Assist Director for Artistic Advancement with administrative duties related to scheduling and correspondence for gallery exhibitions, as necessary, including installations, signage, and exhibit documents.
- Assist Librarian with cataloging, shelving, and organizing books and media; sorting, researching and receiving don
- ated materials; creating and distributing library cards.
- Assist with other Textile Center programs as necessary, including World’s Largest Textile Garage Sale and Garage Sale Pop Up
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends for program events
- Perform other duties as required
- This position reports to the Director of Artistic Advancement, and works primarily with Textile Center program staff- Adult Education Associate, Youth Education Associate, and Librarian. The position interacts with all other staff, contract teaching artists, participants in Textile Center programs, building users, artists, volunteers, and interns.
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree preferred in education-related or arts field; fiber arts knowledge preferred
- 1-2 years administrative experience at an arts organization, non-profit, or a school
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with updating websites (WordPress preferred) and CRM databases (SalesForce preferred)
- Experience using email marketing software; Constant Contact preferred
- Ability to synthesize information and problem solve
- A flexible and effective multitasker
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work with a team, but also to work independently
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral, including the ability to write in full sentences, with good grammar
- Experience providing outstanding customer service; excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to determine and manage changing priorities and complete tasks accurately, on time, and efficiently
- Ability to recognize the need and ask for help when necessary
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time; ability to lift in excess of 30 lbs
- Office equipment such as computer, telephone, copier and fax machine. Audio/video equipment.
- Ability to use various fiber art tools used in educational programs, including dye lab equipment, sewing machines, looms, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time.
Textile Center is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants for this position must successfully pass a background screening and additional skills tests as determined by management.
Please send cover letter, current resume, and 3 professional references to: Nancy Gross, Director of Administration [email protected]