Soap Factory Midwest Artist Residency
Application Deadline: February 28th, 2018 @ 3PM!
Round 1, June 4th - August 25th, 2017
Round 2, September 7th - November 30th, 2017
The Soap Factory (TSF) aims to provide an opportunity to research, produce, and exhibit during a three month residency in our building. This three month residency program asks emerging to mid-career artists, or collectives, from the Midwest to develop and share their practice with our audiences.
The Midwest A-I-Rs are provided a material stipend, private studio, and access to our woodshop and workshop spaces. Studio visits by visiting curators and artists will be offered once a month. All participants are asked to present work developed during their residency; culminating in an exhibition, performance, public event, or publication. Work presented will be exhibited in our new residency gallery spaces.
Artists from all disciplines are welcome to apply. This residency aims at strengthening the practice of, cultural exchange between, and career development of Midwest artists; Artists currently working in the MN Metro area, Greater MN, and Midwest region are encouraged to apply.
_Accomodations in Minneapolis (If from out of town)
_Network of artists, curators, and arts administrators
_Installation and building support
Let’s talk dollars:
$500 material stipend is given to the A-I-R, or collective, at the beginning of their residency.
Free accommodation during your visits to MPLS (only available for artists residing outside of the Twin Cities).
How to submit a proposal:
This is an open call to participate in Soap Factory’s Midwest Artist Residency Program. All applications must be submitted through mnartists.org. See eligibility below and expectations below.
To help you prepare, use the following checklist.
What we want you to include:
• First and foremost, please check our eligibility requirements, are you eligible? Yes! Awesome! No? That’s ok, we will have more opportunities for you in the future :).
• You will be asked to please indicate which residency round you are applying to, if your schedule could accommodate either round - please select both.
• Updated CV or Resume
• Website or online portfolio link
• You will be asked to provide the following information: Name, Email, Phone, Address
• 5-10 color images of work examples
• Video samples (if you are providing, not required), limited to 3
• Audio samples (if you are providing, not required), limited to 3
• Artist Statement - what, why, who are you as an artist? In your own words, how do you define your practice? Keep it concise (word limit 250).
• Statement of Intent - why do you want to do this!? What are your goals as an artist? Include a short proposal if you already have a specific dream project in mind (word limit 500).
• 2 professional references. If you have participated in residency programs, please include at least one from a previous residency experience.
Artists must be 18+ years old. Open to individual artists or one - four person collectives. Artists looking to participate cannot be currently enrolled (at the time of the residency: June - November, 2018) in an education institution that provides residency programs.
For this opportunity you must currently be residing in the Midwest. Are you familiar with the term “rust belt” or “corn sweat” ?, have you ever participated in a meat raffle or smirked at the fact that we have meat raffles but secretly love it?.. we’re looking at you.
And yes, you are included in the Midwest, Kansas and Missouri ;).
Please note the following:
*The Soap Factory is committed to diversity in audience, staff and programming. To assist us in achieving our diversity goals, please indicate your ethnicity or cultural background. Note that responses to this query are not a factor in showing at The Soap Factory, but a measurement of how well we are promoting our submission process to diverse communities. This question is not required.
*All application materials must be submitted in English.
*The Artist(s) selected for the Midwest Artist Residency program will be notified by March 14, 2018.
*Please, do not call or email to check on your submission.
Please read the following:
The Soap Factory will be providing artists with a material stipend, studio, and accomodations. Artists are responsible for any additional costs. The Soap Factory provides a promotional platform, documentation, interviews, and artist talks. We do not provide insurance coverage for work created during or following your residency. All work is shown at the artist or curator’s own risk.
Submissions are only accepted online through the mnartists.org submission process, deadline is February 28th, 2018, 3:00 pm. Technical help from MNartists.org or The Soap Factory staff must be inquired before 3:00 pm on the day of the deadline.
The Soap Factory encourages, but do not require you to publicize your profile on mnartists.org. You do not have to have an existing, but must create a profile to submit through mnartists.org.
We do NOT accept e-mailed submissions OR mailed in submissions.