Each year, NXTHVN selects six early-career artists from a competitive pool of applicants to receive a professional studio space and a generous stipend to cover material expenses throughout the Fellowship year.
In addition to participation in a culminating group exhibit, Studio Fellows have the unique opportunity to form new creative partnerships within the art communities at Yale University, as well as in Greater New Haven and New York City.
Studio Fellows are required to commit to a minimum of 20 hours of studio time per week and 5 hours of mentorship time with their high school Apprentice. Additionally, Studio Fellows are required to engage in a series of group critiques, studio visits, and workshops with art world professionals.
NXTHVN Studio Fellows must reside in or relocate to New Haven for the duration of the Fellowship year.
The Studio Fellowship includes:
- A generous stipend of $25,000 and housing for eligible candidates
- A dedicated studio space within a state-of-the-art facility for the duration of the Fellowship year
- A dedicated studio assistant through the NXTHVN Apprenticeship Program
- Professional Development Workshops twice per month
- Scheduled critique sessions with NXTHVN Professional Artists
- A group exhibition in the NXTHVN Gallery
- Support from the NXTHVN Program Advisor
- Access to the Yale University Library and Art Gallery
- Free membership to the NXTHVN co-working space
Applicants to the Studio Fellowship Program are required to submit:
- A clear indication of which program (Studio or Curatorial) you are applying for
- A one-page Letter of Intent
- An updated resume or CV
- An 300-word artist statement*
- 8-10 jpegs of recent work. Artists working with film/video/sound may submit up to 3, 4 minute clips of recent work, or a combination of 6 jpegs and one, 2 minute a/v clip.
- A $35 non-refundable application fee**
*A 1- 2-minute maximum video of the artist’s statement is acceptable, in lieu of a written statement.