Image: BENJAMÍN TORRES’ STUDIO, 2015.
Initiated in 2012, our Visual Arts, Technology, Music, and Narrative Art Residency programs provide free space and access to a variety of resources—3D printers, laser cutters, a sound booth, a kiln, a Risograph, large format printers and scanners, virtual reality headsets, and more—with the belief that by working together under one roof in close proximity, each program’s energies and ideas can be shared.
Our residents are selected through an open call application process each September. At that time, a jury of critics, curators, past residents, and Pioneer Works staff convene to select residents who are diverse, who work outside existing models and “norms” of their field, and who are a good fit for our unique facilities and culture.
We encourage all of our residents to work beyond the studio and integrate their practice within various Pioneer Works programs and platforms like our monthly Second Sundays event, when we open our doors to the general public for activations, open studios, and performances.
Pioneer Works residency alumni enjoy benefits like networking and social events, the opportunity to propose classes at Pioneer Works, and potential consideration for Pioneer Works or partner organizations’ exhibitions, art fairs, residencies, and projects.
- Glass-enclosed studio
- Black and White Darkroom
- Design and Print Lab
- Tech Lab
- Fabrication Studio (Glass, Wood, and Ceramics)
- Technical assistance from our staff
- Consulting sessions with staff on projects
- Opportunities for public and community programming and engagement
- Opportunities to propose and teach workshops and classes
- Artists working in all media, at any stage of their career, and an interest in public discourse and/or have a background in education are welcome to apply.
- We do not accept students currently enrolled in school. However, a BA, MA, BFA, or MFA is not required.
- We do accept collectives. However, please apply via one application.
- To maintain equity, alumni residents may apply after 2 years of their last residency at Pioneer Works.
A jury of experts in the field, past residents, and Pioneer Works staff will convene to consider candidates. Accepted candidates will be notified by November 1. Unfortunately, due to the number of applicants, we cannot provide individual feedback.
Our online application is open from September 2 to September 30 at 11:59pm. Applications submitted in person or late will not be accepted. If you submit incorrectly before the deadline, you can resubmit with a note about the previous application.