Open Until Filled
Imagine yourself here. Be a part of something great at Science Museum of Minnesota.
The Science Museum of Minnesota believes in the diversity of our community – diversity generates ideas, inspires creativity and is essential to building a positive workplace. As an Employer of Choice we hire and keep the best employees by valuing differences, creating a collaborative work environment, and providing promotional and career development opportunities.
Join our team as a Project Production Manager and help play a critical role in the accomplishment of the work of the Exhibits Division, leading and directing large teams of employees, hiring sub-contractors and other vendors, choosing and purchasing materials, managing budgets, and taking responsibility for the successful completion of complex projects, often extending over a number of years, within stringent constraints of schedule and budget.
Project Production Managers may serve as a Project Leader on a particular project, or they may be asked to collaborate with and support another Project Leader while bearing more specific responsibility for the production aspects of a project.
Work Environment & Schedule: Office or cubicle space, exhibit production, and maintenance shops; museum public spaces. Occasional opportunities to travel, usually within the U.S., for research, client conferences, and exhibit installations. Evening and weekend hours may be necessary at times.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead and collaborate with clients, advisors, and other Exhibit Division staff in the development, design, and production of extraordinary museum experiences, which support the mission of SMM, exceed the expectations of our exhibit clients and reinforce the position of SMM as a national and international leader in visitor experiences and exhibit services.
• In collaboration with the Exhibit Project Leader and other Exhibit Division Managers, lead and oversee the process of developing, designing, and producing Exhibits Division projects in all their aspects, supporting and supervising staff, facilitating communication and collaboration throughout the project team, identifying and addressing problems and obstacles as they arise, and creating an environment that encourages and enables the best efforts of all members of the project team.
• Supervise and direct all aspects of the exhibit production process, setting schedules, assigning responsibilities and tasks, monitoring progress in all areas of the work, and adjusting schedules, work assignments, and resources as necessary to assure the successful and timely completion of the work.
• In collaboration with Exhibit Project Leader and other Exhibit Division Managers, work to develop a detailed budget for the creation of the exhibit, within the requirements and constraints established by Exhibits Division management. Monitor and update the budget as required. Inform Director of Exhibit Project Management as soon as possible in any cases where a risk of budget overrun develops.
• Support VP of Exhibits and other Exhibit Division Managers in work to identify, pursue, and secure funding for new SMM Exhibits projects and clients for our Exhibits Products and Services operation.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• No formal education required.
• Experience and demonstrated success leading others in custom fabrication and/or maintenance functions.
• Experience and success working in a complex organization where collaboration, communication, and the ability to function independently and as a team member.
• Experience and success working in a custom fabrication environment that requires a broad range of skills and talents, including machining, welding and other metal-working skills, cabinet making and other wood-working skills, and CAD drafting and fabrication.
• Demonstrated aptitude for, and experience with math and science principals, history, and concepts.
• A commitment to informal science education.
• Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
• Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds.
• Fluency in language(s) other than English valued (Hmong, Somali, Spanish).
Starting rate: $60,000+ annual salary / Depending on Qualifications.
The job duties describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list. For some positions, detailed procedures may be outlined in supplemental documents.
We exist to turn on the science and inspire learning, inform policy and improve lives. We envision a world in which all people have the power to use science to make lives better. We value science as an essential literacy and strive for inclusion inside and out so that our museum and our people reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community. It is the museum’s policy and practice to hire and promote qualified job seekers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We offer benefit packages to full-time and part-time employees.