The Artist Residency program is central to Red Bull Arts Detroit. We’re committed to providing artists the space, time, and resources necessary to push their practices forward by offering a two-month residency at our facilities in Detroit. We provide housing, studio space, an $8,000 stipend, a $2,000 budget for production of work during the residency, and access to the local arts community through studio visits, exhibition tours, and personal connections. The Residency is designed for artists at all stages of their careers interested in experimenting with new techniques, developing new work, or focusing on research.
Artist Residency Details
- $8,000 Residency Stipend
- Travel to-and-from Detroit
- 24-7 access to 6,000 square-foot shared studio space, to be shared with fellow residents (three total residents each term)
- In-house tools and equipment at the Red Bull Arts Detroit studio are listed on our website. If additional resources are needed during the Residency please include those in your application and Red Bull Arts Detroit will advise if these are obtainable or accessible in the city
- Introductions to members of Detroit’s creative community
- An unrestricted $2,000 budget for hiring assistants, sourcing materials, or otherwise producing work in Detroit
Eligibility and Expectations
- Open to individual artists aged 21+
- Applicants must be US citizens or residents
- Applicants must be based in Detroit for at minimum 85% of residency period
- Red Bull Arts Detroit offers three residency terms annually: April 1 – June 1; July 1 – September 1; October 1 – December 1.
- Applications for 2020 Residency terms are open August 19th – September 30th of 2019.
- Artists should be working actively in the fields of visual, sound, or performance art
- Applicants must submit a portfolio of images documenting their work (up to 10 images max), as well as a CV, an Artist Statement, and Statement of Purpose.
- While the Residency Program is open to artists in all stages in their career, successful applicants will demonstrate exceptional talent in their field, and a demonstrated dedication to the issues surrounding contemporary art. We encourage applicants from a wide range of demographics.
- Residents will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of leading artists, curators, and arts professionals
- If you have participated in the Residency from 2019 forward you are not eligible to reapply