If Music be the food of love, play on
A REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Art on the Ave in the Slatterly Park Arts District in Rochester, MN is sponsoring an open, two-stage competition to choose a design for a sculpture. The chosen work will be permanently installed on a boulevard of the Slatterly Park Arts District, with the name of the piece and sculptor featured prominently and shall be revealed to the public in an official ceremony at the Art on the Ave event, Saturday May 16th, 2020.
Art on the Ave is a neighborhood initiative to promote the education of the arts, to revitalize Slatterly Park with progressive beautification projects, and to foster conscientious community in SE downtown Rochester. Annually in May, Art on the Ave hosts a festival showcasing local artisans and art-based organizations, food, musicians, and fine arts performers. Our event welcomes all-comers and is committed to maintaining an environment without religious or political polarity. Through our efforts, we seek to champion creativity as a vehicle for peace, humanism, and prosperity.
A collection of modestly sized sculptures adorning the boulevard (space between street & sidewalk) throughout the neighborhood.
- Minimum height: 6 feet, maximum height: 8 feet
- Maximum circumference: roughly 4 feet (some exceptions)
- All materials must be weather durable and low maintenance
- The sculpture must be safe for children playing around it
- Finalist should be prepared to fabricate their design before May 1, 2020.
A commission of $1,800 will be awarded to the winning sculpture artist.
REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION:
- Registration and submissions are accepted in digital format sent to [email protected] or by mailing to P.O. Box 9072 , Rochester MN 55903
- Multiple images per submission and multiple submissions per participant are accepted.
- Submissions may be computer generated or hand-drawn three dimensional images of the proposed project; or photographs of a model or finalized sculpture.
- Submissions need to describe intended dimensions and materials, along with a brief interpretation and proposed title of the piece.
- Logistics should be described as well as a timeline for production.
- Contact information should include city of location and the most efficient method of contact.
- There is no entry fee.
- Submissions must be received by November 15, 2019.
This competition is open to all artists
The Jurors, in the first stage, will select three proposed or finalized sculptures from the digital submissions. In the second phase, the three finalists will be promptly contacted for further questions regarding logistics of the project. Selection of the winning design will be made in mid-December and the winner contacted to finalize details regarding installation.
THE DESIGN CHALLENGE:
Participants are encouraged to create a sculpture that engages with the theme of the 2020 annual Art on the Ave: If Music be the food of love, play on. This year’s hosts Alex and Misha share this vision for the piece that will go in front of their home on the public boulevard.
The artist is responsible for the installation of the sculpture, and will work with Art on the Ave board on final location. Permits and Utility locates will be procured by Art on the Ave.
- Sculptures can be installed with concrete footings directly into the ground. A concrete slab is not provided for the installation.
- Finished work must be delivered and installed by the artist by May 10, 2020.
ARTISTS MUST CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
Artistic merit of proposed work, including:
- Idea to be conveyed
- Appropriateness of media to idea
- Visual impact, including color, form and composition
- Harmony/compatibility with physical and social setting
Feasibility of the proposed work, including:
- Public safety
- Risk assessment (risk will be assumed by the artist)
- Maintenance obligation
Ability of the artist to successfully complete the project, including:
- Training and experience
- Evidence of careful financial planning
- Technical competence