Soap Factory Curatorial Residency
Application Due February 28th, 2018 @ 3PM
Residency runs: June 4th - November 30th, 2018
Curatorial Exhibition: September 8th - October 21st, 2018
The Soap Factory (TSF) aims to provide an opportunity for professional curatorial development through its Curatorial Residency program. This six month residency program asks one emerging or mid-career curator, or collective, to develop an exhibition in the Soap Factory’s 12,000 sq. ft. main floor exhibition space.
The C-I-R exhibition will be supported financially and administratively; accompanied by documentation and exhibition catalog. C-I-R are asked to complete a written essay, moderate an artist talk or public discussion, and participate in our podcast.
The Soap Factory’s Residency programming is structured to encourage fellowship among residents, expect to participate in at least two studio visit sessions with TSF A-I-R during your residency.
• Travel Reimbursement
• Accomodations in MPLS
• Documentation + Printed Catalog
• Network of artists, curators, and arts administrators
• Installation and building support
Let’s talk dollars:
$3,000 honorarium is paid to the C-I-R or collective at the end of their residency.
$1,500 in travel reimbursement during residency.
Free accommodation during your visits to MPLS (only available for curators residing outside of the Twin Cities).
How to submit a proposal:
This is an open call to participate in Soap Factory’s Curatorial Residency Program. All applications must be submitted through mnartists.org. See eligibility below and expectations below.
To help you prepare, use the following checklist.
What we want you to include:
• First and foremost, are you eligible? Yes! Awesome! No? That’s ok, we will have more opportunities for you in the future :).
• Updated CV or Resume
• Website or Online portfolio link
• You will be asked to provide the following information: Name, Email, Phone, Address
• 5-10 color images of curatorial examples
• Video samples (if you are providing, not required), limited to 3
• 1 writing Sample - must be related to the field (ex: curatorial essay, critical response, etc. word limit 750).
• Curatorial Vision - what, why, who are you as a curator. Keep it concise (word limit 250).
• Statement of Intent - why do you want to do this!? What are your goals as a curator? Include a short proposal if you already have a curatorial project in mind (word limit 500).
• 2 professional references. If you have participated in residency programs, please include at least one from a previous residency experience. Please include at least one reference from an artist you have worked with.
Artists must be 18+ years old. Open to individual curators, one - four person curatorial collectives. Curators looking to participate cannot be currently enrolled (at the time of the residency: June - November, 2018) in an education institution that provides curatorial or residency programs. This call is open to anyone from around the world.
Please note the following:
*The Soap Factory is committed to diversity in audience, staff and programming. To assist us in achieving our diversity goals, please indicate your ethnicity or cultural background. Note that responses to this query are not a factor in showing at The Soap Factory, but a measurement of how well we are promoting our submission process to diverse communities. This question is not required.
*All application materials must be submitted in English.
*Curator(s) selected for the C-I-R program will be notified by March 14, 2018.
*Please, do not call or email to check on your submission.
Please read the following:
The Soap Factory will be providing curators with travel, housing, and honorarium. Curators are responsible for any additional costs. The Soap Factory provides a promotional platform, documentation, interviews, and artist talks. We do not provide insurance coverage for work created during or following your residency. All work is shown at the artist or curator’s own risk.
Submissions are only accepted online through the mnartists.org submission process, deadline is February 28th, 2018, 3:00 pm. Technical help from MNartists.org or The Soap Factory staff must be inquired before 3:00 pm on the day of the deadline.
The Soap Factory encourages, but do not require you to publicize your profile on mnartists.org. You do not have to have an existing, but must create a profile to submit through mnartists.org.
We do NOT accept e-mailed submissions OR mailed in submissions.