Soap Factory Solo Exhibition Residency
Application Deadline: February 28th, 2018 @ 3PM
Residency runs: June 4th - November 30th, 2018
Solo Exhibition: November 17th, 2017 - January 6th, 2018
The Soap Factory (TSF) aims to provide a rare opportunity to contemporary artists looking to exhibit their work in the three main floor galleries of the Soap Factory. This six month residency program asks one mid-career or established artist, or collective, to develop an exhibition in the Soap Factory’s 12,000 sq. ft. main floor exhibition space.
The Solo Exhibition will be supported financially and administratively; accompanied by documentation and an exhibition catalog. A-I-R’s are asked to participate in an artist talk or open dialogue, and in our podcast.
Please note, artists working in all disciplines are encouraged to apply to this opportunity though the Soap Factory is especially interested in artists practicing experimental and/or interdisciplinary work.
_Travel Reimbursement (for anyone outside of the twin cities)
_Accomodations in Minneapolis (If from out of town)
_Documentation + Printed Catalog
_Network of artists, curators, and arts administrators
_Installation and building support
Let’s talk dollars:
$3,600 honorarium is paid to the Solo Exhibiting Artist or collective at the end of their residency.
$1,500 in travel reimbursement during residency.
Free accommodation during your visits to Minneapolis (only available for artists residing outside of the Twin Cities).
How to submit a proposal:
This is an open call to participate in Soap Factory’s Solo Exhibition Residency Program. All applications must be submitted through mnartists.org. See eligibility below and expectations below.
To help you prepare, use the following checklist.
What we want you to include:
• First and foremost, please check our eligibility requirements, are you eligible? Yes! Awesome! No? That’s ok, we will have more opportunities for you in the future :).
• Updated CV or Resume
• Website or online portfolio link
• You will be asked to provide the following information: Name, Email, Phone, Address
• 5-10 color images of work examples
• Video samples (if you are providing, not required), limited to 3
• Artist Statement - what, why, who are you as an artist? In your own words, how do you define your practice? Keep it concise (word limit 250).
• Statement of Intent - why do you want to do this!? What are your goals as an artist? Include a short proposal if you already have a specific dream project in mind (word limit 500).
• 2 professional references. If you have participated in residency programs, please include at least one from a previous residency experience. Please provide a reference from a gallery or museum you have exhibited in or have a close relationship with.
Artists must be 18+ years old. Open to individual artists or one - four person collectives. Artists looking to participate cannot be currently enrolled (at the time of the residency: June - November, 2018) in an education institution that provides residency programs. This call is open to anyone from around the world.
Please note the following:
*The Soap Factory is committed to diversity in audience, staff and programming. To assist us in achieving our diversity goals, please indicate your ethnicity or cultural background. Note that responses to this query are not a factor in showing at The Soap Factory, but a measurement of how well we are promoting our submission process to diverse communities. This question is not required.
*All application materials must be submitted in English.
*The Artist(s) selected for the Solo Exhibition Residency program will be notified by March 14, 2018.
*Please, do not call or email to check on your submission.
Please read the following:
The Soap Factory will be providing artists with travel, an honorarium, and accomodations. Artists are responsible for any additional costs. The Soap Factory provides a promotional platform, documentation, interviews, and artist talks. We do not provide insurance coverage for work created during or following your residency. All work shown is at the artist or curator’s own risk.
Submissions are only accepted online through the mnartists.org submission process, deadline is February 28th, 2018, 3:00 pm. Technical help from MNartists.org or The Soap Factory staff must be inquired before 3:00 pm on the day of the deadline.
The Soap Factory encourages, but do not require you to publicize your profile on mnartists.org. You do not have to have an existing, but must create a profile to submit through mnartists.org.
We do NOT accept e-mailed submissions OR mailed in submissions.