Visitor Services and Volunteer Manager
Minnesota Museum of American Art
Mission: The Minnesota Museum of American Art inspires people to discover themselves and their communities through American art.
Description: The Minnesota Museum of American Art (the M) is in an exciting, transformational time as we work towards opening a new art museum in late 2018. The M seeks a Visitor Services and Volunteer Manager to lead all visitor services, volunteer services, and event and outreach coordination. They will lay the groundwork for an effective and engaging visitor services program, whose primary role is to enhance patron experiences while adhering to the highest standards for keeping the art and environment safe, and encourages audience and museum growth. They will also maintain and enhance an active volunteer program which is essential to the development of the organization. The Visitor Services and Volunteer Manager works under the supervision of the Director of Operations, but is expected to perform many daily tasks independently. We know there are great candidates who may not fit into the criteria we’ve outlined below, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Work Environment & Schedule: Must be able to successfully work both independently and collaboratively in a mix of museum and office settings. Work schedule is Wednesday to Sunday, but does require occasional work on evenings and other weekdays, based on department needs and event schedules.
- Manage the Museum’s front desk and provide positive customer service experience to all guests.
- Work with all museum departments to establish an effective presence in the museum and encourage visitor engagement through written materials, way-finding signage, etc.
- Manage the museum’s retail offerings and admission/event sales.
- Stay up-to-date on ADA compliance requirements and apply them to all facets of the museum.
- Maintain physical space by working with vendors for any maintenance, janitorial, or other needs.
- Coordinate tour reservations with the Curator of Learning and Engagement and other staff.
- Capture accurate data on visitor attendance, programming, and tour groups and compile statistical reports; execute any evaluation measures integrated into exhibitions.
- Communicate general information about the museum and its exhibitions, programs, and the Sifo Center for Creativity to visitors and the general public.
- Offer concierge–like service for guests interested in other downtown St. Paul and local area attractions.
- Interview, hire, train, and manage all volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteers throughout the organization and maintain an active volunteer appreciation program.
- Maintain volunteer scheduling for museum open hours and events, and serve as liaison between volunteers and staff during additional events outside of the museum space.
- Continue to build the volunteer program that will support the M during our period of growth.
Event and Outreach Coordination
- Work directly with M staff to ensure preparedness of space for meetings, gatherings, and events related to ongoing museum initiatives.
- Coordinate event rentals (museum events and renters’ events) with vendors, handling event logistics from tours of the space to day-of-event management and support.
- Direct the development and execution of visitor services activities, especially those involving collaborations with external organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience in hospitality or equivalent service experience.
- Outstanding organization skills; able to successfully manage multiple projects independently and seek direction as needed.
- Exceptional communication skills, excellent judgment, proven relationship skills, discretion, creative thinking, and the desire and ability to work as part of a small and dedicated team.
- Previous work in event management a must.
- Ability to keep a flexible schedule - applicant must be available to work all museum open hours, including weekends, and have flexibility to work other evening and off hours.
- Experience managing volunteers or staff a plus.
- Experience working in a nonprofit art or cultural institution desired.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, resume, and three names of references via email to Jennifer Hensley, Director of Operations, at [email protected].
Salary will be determined based upon experience, in the range of $40,000 to $45,000. This is a full-time position with comprehensive benefits.
Application deadline: Sunday, July 8, 2018; anticipated start date in early August 2018.
The M is committed to building a culture focused on inclusivity, diversity, equity, and accessibility and strives to exemplify the richness of difference, and the equitable inclusion of it, throughout the organizational culture and within its practices. Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.